Students can gain professional skills during college through a variety of experiences. Strengthening and communicating these skills is crucial for postgraduate success. Employers are seeking students who can transition from student life to the workplace and demonstrate the following Career Readiness Competencies:
- Collaborate and work within a diverse team structure; negotiate and manage conflict.
- Select and use appropriate technology to solve problems and accomplish goals.
- Draw upon interpersonal and organizational skills to motivate and develop others to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrate personal integrity, effective work habits, and a professional work image.
- Exercise sound reasoning, analytical thinking, and inventiveness; use knowledge and data to solve problems and make decisions.
- Identify and articulate relevant skills, knowledge, and experiences in pursuit of career opportunities; self-advocate and identify areas of professional growth.
- Show understanding of audience’s diverse needs in order to articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written, verbal, and non-verbal forms.
- Value, respect, learn from, and interact with people from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations, religions, nationalities, abilities, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
By utilizing the Career Center, students can identify opportunities to develop these competencies through internships, part-time work, research, and extracurricular activities. We help with career exploration during counseling appointments and career classes. Our workshops provide resources for resume building, interview preparation, and more. Career fairs and information sessions allow students to network with employers, alumni, and graduate schools. Students can access internships, jobs, and apply for on-campus interviews in various fields through Handshake, our online platform.
We are excited to help UCI students get career ready. It is never too early to start.